Fayninger: village church and bell tower

Lionel Feininger


Файнингер: деревенская церковь и колокольня

(1871 New York City - 1956 ibid.) Village view with church tower in July 1926, probably in the vicinity of Weimar, a study by Feininger, in whose oeuvre churches and church towers form a significant focus for both his paintings and drawings, watercolors and graphics. Especially the shape of highly demanding, pointed, needle-like towers, such as the one inspired by Gelmeroda, led him to crystalline compositions. In 1919, Feininger was immediately appointed as the first Bauhaus master by Walter Gropius after the founding of the State Bauhaus in Weimar, where he lived until 1926 and also supervised the print workshops until 1925. On July 30, 1926, Feininger moved with his family into one of the newly established master houses in Dessau, although he remained formally a "master" at the Bauhaus until 1932, he was released from all teaching obligations. After the forced closure of the Dessau Bauhaus in 1932, Feininger moved to Berlin, and in 1937 he finally returned to the USA. During the time of National Socialism, Feininger's works were officially considered "degenerate art," and 378 works of the artist were confiscated from public collections. Pencil on squared paper with double punching. Above dat. "15(.)7(.)19)26". 22.5 cm x 14.5 cm. Frame. Provenance: From the collection of Laurence Feininger (1909-1976), the son of the artist.

68
05 Jun 2024

939 400,00

Login

CountryUSA

Author Lionel Feininger

Style Graphics

Lot location Moscow ( 77 )

Check the delivery methods with the seller when making a purchase

Please check the payment methods with the seller when making a purchase


to share